A colourful refreshing salad that is really tasty and healthy and full of fresh veg, herbs and noodles. You can add hot fried prawns to it if you fancy and If I want to make a lower carb version I use zero noodles (there are lots of makes…) which have no carbs and are available in most supermarkets, Asian shops and online.
- 3 tbsp fish sauce(you can also get vegetarian fish sauce in Asian supermarkets or online)
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2-3 tbsps maple syrup
- Juice 1-2 limes
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons of sesame oil
- ½ red onion, finely sliced
- 1 large carrot, julienned (cut into matchsticks) or grated
- 200g rice noodles
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 small or half a cucumber sliced into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
- A handful of radishes very finely sliced
- A bunch of fresh Thai basil or basil leaves picked off of stems
- Small bunch of fresh coriander, leaves picked off stems
- Small bunch of fresh mint, leaves picked off stems
- Large handful salted roasted peanuts, finely chopped
- Ready-made crispy fried onions, from a tub, to sprinkle (check for gluten, otherwise fry a shallot or onion till crispy)
Firstly mix the fish sauce, vinegar and maple syrup from the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and pour half the dressing into a big bowl. Add the onion and carrots and stir to coat in the liquid making sure everything is covered in the liquid. Set aside, moving it around now and then, so the veg absorbs the flavours. Stir the juice of 1 lime, a minced garlic and the chopped chilli into the remaining dressing in the other bowl.
Cook the noodles according to the instructions on the packet, removing them slightly before you’re supposed to. Rinse thoroughly in a colander with warm water to wash off the starch, then drain again, shake dry and generously drizzle over the sesame oil to coat the noodles evenly.
Put the cucumber, radishes and herbs in a large bowl with half the peanuts. Once the onion and carrot have taken on the dressing flavours, drain and add to the bowl (discard the liquid they were in)
Scatter with the remaining peanuts, herbs, plenty of the crispy onions and wedges of lime and serve.