This is my version of the all raw peanutty salad that comes from Indonesia, the ingredients I put in it are readily available in the supermarket, but if you can get Thai aubergines, which I couldn’t get, then you can add chunks of those too if you want it to be even more authentic, but it is delicious either way(it’s also a good fridge clearer outer using up veg from the fridge) You can serve it with rice if you want, or just on it’s own as a tasty healthy salad.
- a big handful of Green beans finely chopped
- a big handful of bean sprouts
- a big handful of Chinese cabbage or white Cabbage shredded
- quarter of a Cucumber chopped or cut into ribbons with a potato peeler
- a bunch of Basil or Thai basil
- half a cup of crispy Fried onions from supermarket (if you are gluten free fry some chopped shallots till crispy)
- A handful of roasted chopped salted peanuts
- 1/2-1 garlic clove
- 1/2 tsp of fresh ginger grated
- Peanut butter 3tablespoons
- 1 -2 chillies sliced, half for sauce half for sprinkle on salad
- Maple syrup 1 teaspoon
- Fish sauce 1/2 tsp (there are lots of vegetarian versions available)
- Hot water 50ml
- Tamarind 1tsp
Make the sauce by putting all the sauce ingredients into a blender and whizz till smooth, then set aside.
Arrange the salad vegetables on a plate, or in a bowl and sprinkle with the rest of the chilli finely sliced, the chopped peanuts, the crispy onions and the basil leaves. Serve with the sauce however you want.