Italians love a small sweet biscuit or a small piece of cake with their coffee in the morning. This cake is light and lemony and is made with olive oil and lots of eggs. You could eat it anytime of day and it would be delicious with berries and a dollop of crème fraîche too. I reduced the sugar a bit as I don’t like my cakes too sweet but you can add more if you prefer. I think it’s sweet enough.
- 1 cup of golden caster sugar
- 3 large room temperature eggs
- 3/4 cup of mild olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of lemon zest
- 1 cup of whole milk (I use Bonsoy soya milk so it’s dairy free)
- 1/3 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice (I used 3 lemons)
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 3 cups of plain flour (for gluten free: my Insta friend does 1/2cup rice flour, 1 and 1/2 cups plain Doves Gluten free flour, 1/2 cup polenta)
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- Icing sugar to sprinkle on top after baking
- A nine inch approx bundt tin
Preheat the oven to 180c (350 f).
Coat the Bundt tin with cake release spray and set aside.
In a big bowl, using an electric whisk, froth up the eggs and sugar together till pale and smooth, approx four minutes. Add all the wet ingredients (oil, milk, vanilla, lemon juice and the lemon zest ) and mix together. On a low speed, mix in all the dry ingredients(salt, flour, baking powder) till smooth, but don’t over mix.
Pour the batter into the bundt tin and bake for about 35-40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean, all ovens vary. Leave in the pan for 20 minutes then cool completely on a wire rack. Dust lightly with icing sugar. Done!
I shop at: